The public hearing for the Mattawoman Energy plant update to include air cooling is on Tuesday, July 23, 7 PM, Brandywine Fire Dept. Social Hall, 14201 Brandywine Rd., Brandywine, MD 20613.
Read official Public Service Commission statement about this meeting here (PDF).
Community members are concerned about new activity with Mattawoman Power Plant. Dominion stated they will not be providing their gas (see article here and read quote on our link at Facebook). They have applied to the Public Service Commission (PSC) to amend their Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity (CPCN) which is the major permit needed to start construction and, to our knowledge, no locally concerned citizens were notified.
Here are some concerns that may affect you:
- Noise pollution: If they are permitted to air-cool instead of water-cool which was their previous plan. Location (zoom out as needed – 1/2 mi. from elementary school).
- Gas pipeline leak/potential explosion (part of pipeline is existing, not new – does it meet today’s codes?)
- Truck traffic during construction – Air pollution, more noise, safety
- Traffic congestion on Brandywine Rd. and other adjoining roads, including Rt. 5 & 301
- Impact on renewable energy sources, carbon emissions and climate change (State says we’re supposed to go to green energy by 2030 – see article – if you can’t see the article, search on “Maryland bill mandating 50% renewable energy by 2030 to become law, but without Gov. Larry Hogan’s signature”) – our future
- Air and Water pollution – see information throughout this site
Stay connected from this website or our Facebook page for a public meeting later in June 2019.
Other recent web pages to visit:
Public Service Commission list of 9330 cases
Mattawomen Energy Center (contains links to CPCN)
Maryland Public Service Commission’s Search for Case 9330 (sort by date with 2019 at top)
EPA Resolution for civil rights complaint